Monday, January 10, 2011

The start of something new...

The very first topic in The Crafters Devotional talks about beginning the journaling process, and more specificly, choosing a journal: "Journaling needn't be expensive - peruse your local office supply shop, drugstore, warehouse, or stationary store for a notebook that can serve as your first journal.  Choose the book that you're drawn to instinctively, whether it's a miniature notepad or a leather-bound book."

When I read this, I immediately thought of my pink leather-bound journal.  I found it at Chapters and bought because it was pink and I loved the feel of the leather cover.  I hadn't been using it because I tried to create my own journal, but my creation wasn't really doing it for me.  I decided to go back to my lovely pink journal.

Continuing to read through the devotional, the following week's journalling topic was about personalizing your journal: "If you've always been a crafty type, you've probably been inspired to personalize a store-bought journal or spiral-bound notebook.  It can be as simple as adding a monogram, bumper stickers, or doodling to your heart's content.  The blank journal cover is a blank slate, so to speak, for original artwork."  Actually, I had never thought of decorating my store-bought journals before.  So I figured I was long overdue.  Want to see the results? Of course you do! So here you go...

The first thing I did was make the bookmark (really a long knotted friendshipracelet - the charm on the end of it is a dove with an olive branch it its beak).  It's attached to the spine of the journal with a white flower-shaped eyelet.  I was so proud of myself for setting that eyelet - it was the first time I'd used my Crop-a-Dile to set an eyelet.  Now I'm wondering why it took me so long to get around to trying! Anyway, once I had my bookmark attached, the next step was attaching the fuzzy brads (made by Doodlebug Designs, one of my favourite scrappy companies).  I still felt it needed something though.  It took me quite a while to figure out what that something was.  Then I happened to think of some metal words I had in with my faith scrapbooking supplies.  After a great deal of playing around with the words (and finally getting an expert opinion from my mom) I decided to go with "Believe".


This is the title page I made for my journal (sorry for the blurry picture - i'm still trying to figure out how to get good up-close pics of my art projects).  I found the stickers (by Jolee's Boutique) when I was looking for stuff to use in my Bucket List mini album.  The fuzzy cloud stickers I bought extra.  The balloon and the banner just somehow seemed a perfect fit for a journal title page.

Until next time,
J.

4 comments:

  1. WOW - your blog is looking fantastic! Love the colours in general and the pink text is really easy to read against the pale yellow - GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- I've been totally forgetting to tel you this but for Christmas my dh bought the Crafters Devotional. Everytime I read it reminds me of you. I pray that you are feeling better! I just read about the journal and I'm planning on decorating one of mine. I hope you have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen - you said "sorry for the blurry picture - i'm still trying to figure out how to get good up-close pics of my art projects"

    Here is a couple of tips that were given to me that might help!
    1) Use natural light - I take ALL my pics of my stuff outside - on top of the BBQ!
    2) Use the macro setting on your camera - often a button/setting that looks like a tulip. Trust me - it's worth figuring out if you have one. I only have a point and shoot digital and it has one - they all do these days.
    3) Use super-marco if you have it for really close-up shots
    4) Download Picasa (free from google)and use it to make your pics look better. Even just try the Auto-Contrast button - you will be amazed at how much better pics look.
    Hope that helps. Thise few hints were given to me and my pics started looking MUCH better within 20 mins! Lowri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to find a journal that will work for you. Good luck with all your entries.

    I'm a follower now. Maybe you could follow me too http://afternoonscrapper.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete